American Mathematics Competitions
The American Mathematics Competitions are a series of nationally syndicated math contests, sponsored by the Mathematical Association of America. The AMC 8, 10, and 12 are for middle and high school students, and are the first tier of competitions leading to the USA Mathematical Olympiad.
AMC 8, AMC 10, and AMC 12
- 25 multiple choice questions in 40 minutes
- For grades 6-8 (and some accelerated grade 4-5 students)
- Students scoring 20 or better are invited to the AMC10/12
- 25 multiple choice questions in 75 minutes
- AMC10 - For grades 9-10. Top 2.5% nationally qualify for the AIME
- AMC12 - For grades 11-12. Top 5% nationally qualify for the AIME
AIME - American Invitational Mathematics Examination
- 10,000 students are invited, March 2015.
- 15 questions in 3 hours, each answer is an integer number 0-999
- USAMO - USA Mathematical Olympiad
500 students are invited, April 2015
6 essay/proof questions in 2 days (9 hours total)
12 students are invited to the award ceremony in Washington, DC
Rules: No aids are permitted during the exam other than scratch paper, ruler, and erasers. NO CALCULATORS ARE ALLOWED.
Registration: Registration is open to any eligible regional student who is unable to take the exam at their normal school. To register, please contact Professor Sue Huang at firstname.lastname@example.org. Detailed information will be emailed to all registered students including time and location.